Thursday, March 30, 2006

Ferrazi Mania

Keith Ferrazzi came on the program this weekend; he is author of the book on why networking is "all you need to succeed," titled Never Eat Alone or www.nevereatalone.com. Keith, a contact of mine whom I respect for his veracity, is a fast-paced talker slash brilliant networker who told our listeners some secrets on how to make friends and influence people in a message crazed world. He made one specific suggestion I'd never thought of before: Think of 25 people you are 'crazy' to get in touch with. Find something to say or send to them. And do it. And then do it again to the same folks. It's a nice way to keep connections going.

In the world of media, where I live and breathe, I always think it's good to send people something you think they will like or need, rather than self serve something from or about you. They won't read it, perhaps, but they'll say "Wow he thought of me."

In this the land of me...thinking of others is considered a miracle.

Keith also said don't "make it so obvious" you might eventually want something from them. That's the best advice on networking I've ever heard. It reminds me of the dude from iVillage who ran PR there and wrote me for advice on career change but started with his attachment and no words about him, me, or the weather. I never answered. What? Me, suspicious of greed?

Thanks Keith for the heads-up. And the great interview smack in the middle of our show.

2 Comments:

Blogger "Post-Google" by TAR ART RAT said...

I wrote Richard Branson to let him know how much I admired his acting... alas, he did not write back.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Amber Gristak said...

TO: "Post-Google" by TAR ART RAT...

i can't imagine why not-
it must have got lost in the mail :)

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home